Monday, November 14, 2011

loss of innocence




And while we're on the subject... you boys each have different fathers.

[pauses]

Oh, I'm sorry.. I'm so sorry that I never told. I'm sorry I've kept this from you all these years. So sorry that I let you live this life, this lie. I wish I told you boys when you were younger.

[pauses, sobs]

Jesus.. my mascara is running. I must look like a hot mess. I just did my face too.

[gets ahold of herself]

Vitalis, he was none of your fathers. You've been living a lie. Vitalis and I worked on the same corner when he was younger. Your father's, they cut corners by not using protection.

If any of your real father's were half the man that he was, she thought to herself.

[loses herself again in a hysterical sob. she sounds like a remorseful hyena]

[boys stare at their mother, still in disbelief; still fixing their hair.

They use Son of Vitalis hair groom. It comes in a tube. Up until now, they had been led to believe that their father was a great man. A man who died trying to perfect his hair groom recipe. A man who died for his family.]

[mother partially regains her composure, looks up at them, smiling. Tears glistening in her eyes.]

But you're in an issue of Playboy!

Each of your fathers would be so damn proud, I can promise each of you that.

Here, here, come over here.

[sniffs, beckons]

Family hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment